Posts tagged cardiff

I made bags!

Yup!  Not one – but two!  I’m feeling very pleased with myself!

I made my bag from Issue 14 of “Sew Hip” as promised.   It was really easy to make and I want to make lots more.  In fact, Chloe is making one for herself too so I’ll post a pic of that when it’s finished.

Bag - issue 14 Sew Hip

I didn’t waste the leftovers either – I made this from the 25cm scrap that was left. 

Drawstring bag

I found the pattern on http://www.knitting-and.com/embroidery/skullbaggy.htm .  I did adapt it a little bit as I used just the one piece and stitched up the sides.  Chloe is going to use it to keep her trainers in for school (maybe she’ll manage to come home with both shoes this time!).

Advertisements

Leave a comment »

Frogs

It’s been weeks and weeks since I blogged last – we’re only just back online. 

I have to say it’s not been a brilliant start to the New Year – just before Christmas our poor house was diagnosed with dry rot.  It’s an absolutely horrible fungus thing that spreads like crazy and the treatment is pretty radical.  So basically, since Christmas we’ve been living on a building site while the builders hacked off infected plaster, ripped up floors and pulled out windows.  Anything of value has had to be packed in polythene to stop the phenomenal amount of dust getting into it.  So I’ve had no computer and no sewing machines for weeks!

The good new is the work is all finished bar the decorating.  The bad news is that it’s cost us a fortune (many thousands!) so hubby and I are thinking up ways of making extra cash.  Think I need to pull my finger out and start doing a few craft fairs …..

Anyway – frogs.  Check out this really fab fabric.  I picked it up in Butterfly Fabrics in Cardiff yesterday.

I’m going to make the bag in Issue 14 of Sew Hip magazine.  It looks nice and roomy, which is good because I tend to carry half a ton of junk round with me.  I’ll get hubby to take a pic of it when it’s finished.

Leave a comment »

Summer makes

Well I’ve been fairly productive over the last few weeks.  I’ve completed four (yes count them!) projects!  That’s got to be a record for me.

The first one is this rather snazzy (imho) waistcoat for Jamie’s prom.

The story goes like this….

Jamie really wanted a red waistcoat.  We hunted all the usual shops (River Island, M&S etc) but all we could find were black or grey.  Then we tried a wedding outfitters.  Lots of lovely red waistcoats there but they wanted – wait for it – £60!!  Neither of us could justify paying that sort of money for something he’s likely only to wear once.

So, to cut a short story short, Jamie suggested that the lovely red fabric I’d picked up on sale in Lee Mill a few weeks earlier would make a very nice waistcoat.  I used Simplicity 4762 – a lovely easy pattern which also included matching tie.  

 

Next up was this little shirred top for Chloe.

RIMG0226

(unfortunately, I couldn’t zoom in any closer or you would have seen the lasagne stain on the front after a rather pleasant lunch in Narbeth)

I didn’t use a pattern for this.  I simply measured her chest and multiplied by 1.5.  Then, I stitched the side seam to form a tube and finished the top and bottom hems using the rolled-hem function on the overlocker.  Using a long stitch and firmly-wound shirring elastic in the bobbin, on the wrong side of the fabric, I stitched corkscrew style until I reached the desired depth of shirring.  For security I added a little halter tie, but it could quite easily be worn without (by the way, the fabric is the pink Laura Ashley I picked up for a snip in Butterfly Fabrics).

My last two projects don’t have pictures yet.  I’ll keep them for my next post.

Leave a comment »

Lovely Fabric!

Well I had a lovely time browsing the fabric shops on City Road in Cardiff on Tuesday and I came away with a couple of bargains to boot!

“Butterfly Fabrics” was my favourite shop this time with lots of lovely summer cotton prints out on the stands – I was spoilt for choice.  My mind was made up though when I spotted some Laura Ashley cotton prints at half price.  I picked up 2m each of the pink and the green at just £3.99 a metre. 

laura-ashley-1

laura-ashley-green

 laura-ashley-pink

New Look patterns were also on offer at £2.95 each so I bought NewLook 6800.  New Look 6800

 

I think perhaps I’ll use the green print.  I’ve not decided yet what I’ll use the pink for, although I think Chloe’s got her beady eye on it!

And yes, I was being optimistic about finishing the pinafore by Wednesday.  I’ve stitched the facing on and trimmed and clipped the seam allowance.  Tonight I’ll sew the shoulders together and understitch the facing – maybe I’ll even start fitting the zip.  See how I feel.

Ah well, before I do that I think I’d better make my family some tea….

Comments (1) »

It’s Saturday!

It’s Saturday and the first day of the half-term break!  Yay!  I’m hoping to get lots done this week.

I’ve started work on a pinafore dress in a lovely pink/black woollen fabric.  The pattern is McCall’s M5464 (view A). 

m54641

I’d love to get it finished by Wednesday so that I can wear it to visit my Dad, but I think that’s probably a bit optimistic!  So far it’s been pretty easy to construct though – apart from one rather scary instruction to “slash” the dart.  I find things like that terrifying as it’s so permanent, one wrong move and your garment is ruined.  Actually, after a bit of encouragement from my lovely sewing teacher Babs, I found that slashing the dart was really not that scary at all.  Armed with my cutting board and rotary cuttter I simply sliced along the slash line – easy peasy!  So that’s another addition to my list of “new things learned”.

We’re off to Cardiff on Tuesday for shopping and a spot of lunch.  I’m really looking forward to browsing the fabric shops on City Road while we’re there.  I’ll tell you all about it later in the week!

Leave a comment »